Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Today’s reading

Philippians 1:21-26

“I know I will remain and continue with all of you for your progress and joy in faith, so that I may share abundantly in your boasting in Christ Jesus when I come to you again” (Phil. 1:25-26).

Prayer

What is our boast? What shall I lift before you as my morning offering, O Near Immensity? You sprinkle the roaring stars across the cosmos with slightest command. You breathe life into every leaf and lung so that the universe itself inhales the wonder of you. You labor in impenetrable depths of being beyond all seeing. You seek mercy for all Earth’s tender children, holding in the near immensity of your divine heart all who are denied the loving reverence in which you hold all that you have made.

Tell me, what can my empty hands hold before you this day? Only this: you. I shall boast of what you do in the children of Earth. In your divine delight, you begin a good work, brimming with love that overflows with knowledge so that I may determine what is best, what perishable words and work might praise the wonder of your imperishability.

I shall boast of what you have begun and will complete in all your beloved: a knowledge born of love, a knowledge born of your inner life, for you are love. To love is to know you. To love is to be in you. To love is to share in the intimacy of your divine life. To love is know the blessing of the eternal Christ encompassed within the limits of our little lives, transforming us at last into human beings.

I shall boast. For you who are love will bring us to full union with you, full participation in the love you are, and this for the blessing of a world to which you are pleased to give yourself. This day, may I be among those so given. Amen.

No comments: