Thursday, September 21, 2006

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Today’s reading

Philippians 1:21-24


“For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain” (Phil. 1:21-24).

Prayer

You wake me again from the little death of sleep simply because you delight to make good and beautiful beings come to life and grow—and know you. It is your delight that I should live, that I should be and be here. It is your delight that I should know you as the blessed and beautiful face of life itself. You wake me to this awareness because you cherish all that you have made, every life, every universe … and me. You cherish me. Accept my amazement. It rises before you, a hymn of praise, bubbling from depths of a soul surprised that you should take such delight in me.

Knowing this, knowing you is life. Already this day I have known you in the gentle laughter of those who gather around me to share memory and insight. Their joy floats and fills the room, a rising sweet incense permeating the air and all space about us with the holy goodness of being joined to others who know and cherish you.

This life you invite me to, it is not life alone is it, dear Friend? It is life with souls such as these before whom I stand in awe, speechless at the beauty you are pleased to take in them. To live is to know this beauty, to live is to know that I, too, am joined with them in this wonder, this beauty that you delight in giving also to me. Amen.

No comments: