Friday, September 15, 2006

Friday, Sept. 15, 2006

Today’s reading

Philippians 1:15-18

“Some proclaim Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from good will. These proclaim Christ out of love, … the others proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition … . But what does it matter? Just this, that Christ is proclaimed in every way, whether out of false motves or true; and in that I rejoice” (Phil. 1:15-16a, 17a, 18).

Prayer

Dearest One, you bless me this day. I cross the street, gentled by an autumn sun. Warm and kind, it instantly drives off any musty doubts about the goodness of being alive. At my side walks a friend, also soaking in the golden goodness of this sparkling day. Pleased as I am by your sun, Blessed Friend, I am more warmed by the companionship of the one who walks with me, who loves you as much or more than I am capable.

Thank you for this privilege. I cannot take it for granted. Your great and holy ones often dwelt without the gentle presence of those who shared their love of you. They lived the labor of loneliness, facing resistance, knowing well that others wished them ill, distracted and distressed by those who used your blessed gospel to satisfy selfish ambitions and consuming conceits.

We, too, know such temptation. We are not always able to celebrate the blessings, successes and victories of others. Self interest, confining ideologies and concern for control corral our hearts and keep us from the one good thing: that you, blessed Friend, be known on Earth..

Grant that our eyes may focus on you alone that we may rejoice that you are made known in myriad ways, through many hearts, in millions of places, even though some may trouble us. And grant true gratitude for the privilege of living among those who love you. Amen.

No comments: