Saturday, March 07, 2020

One perfect moment

The centurion sent friends to say to him, ‘Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you come under my roof…. But only speak the word, and let my servant be healed. For I also am a man set under authority, with soldiers under me; and I say to one, “Go,” and he goes, and to another, “Come,” and he comes, and to my slave, “Do this,” and the slave does it.’ When Jesus heard this he was amazed at him, and said, … ‘I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith.’ (Luke 7:6b-9)


One perfect moment

There are perfect moments in life when exactly the right thing is said at exactly the right moment.

Such moments glisten in mind and heart, drawing our attention back to examine them again and again, reliving their joy, savoring their wisdom and marveling at how … in one exquisite instant we … or anyone … could have been so graced.

So it was for the Roman centurion who sent messengers to Jesus, seeking healing for his servant.

For one perfect moment, he epitomized what it means to be truly human and blessed. For one moment, he trusted that there is a Love that hungers to heal what is most broken in us.

For one moment he actually believed that Love would bless him and the one he loved.

For one moment he revealed the simple trust to which this extraordinary Love invites us.

His words, no, his heart reveals the trust to which Jesus invites each of us and the life God hungers to give us.

Jesus reveals the boundless heart of God, inviting us to know, truly know this Love hungers to make us whole, to heal what is broken, forgive what is wrong and assure us beyond every doubt that Love surrounds and holds us every moment, wherever we are.

“Trust me, Jesus says. Trust the One, the Love, who sent me.”

Trust, and you may just have one perfect moment … and more.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: