Tuesday, November 12, 2019

I want you


Jesus said to his disciples, "Who among you would say to your slave who has just come in from plowing or tending sheep in the field, 'Come here at once and take your place at the table'? Would you not rather say to him, 'Prepare supper for me, put on your apron and serve me while I eat and drink; later you may eat and drink'? (Luke 17:7-8)


It is not to ease that our Lord calls us but to follow him, to share his work, his life, his heart, to see as he sees, feel what he feels and serve as he serves.

I stand among you as one who serves and gives his life as a ransom for many. Such are the words of Jesus, whose purpose and mission is to live the Everlasting Love that flows through his being.

This is the purpose of all who are fashioned in the image of the Love Who Is, the great Loving Mystery who reveals himself in Christ, the servant, who invites us to follow.

I want you with me. These are his words to you. I want to share everything I am and know and feel with you, the pain and glory, the frustration and ecstasy of loving the way that I love.

It is our privilege to follow him, to live the Love he is such as we are able, always faltering, frequently failing, constantly confronting our internal resistance to giving ourselves away in love … to someone or something that our Lord would serve through us.

He knows all this, of course, but invites us to come along anyway, sharing whatever light and joy knowing him awakens in our hearts.

It may not be easy, but being with him is worth the trouble.

Pr. David L. Miller




No comments: