Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Psalm 77:5-8, 11

I consider the days of old, and remember the years of long ago. I commune with my heart in the night; I meditate and search my spirit: ‘Will the Lord spurn forever, and never again be favorable? Has his steadfast love ceased forever? Are his promises at an end for all time? ... I will call to mind the deeds of the Lord; I will remember your wonders of old. 

Remember joy

Having presided at many funerals, I know few things are quite so sweet or powerful as moments of laughter as we tell stories and remember the grace of being human ... together. God’s love pierces our gloom in such searing moments and tells us nothing is ever lost because the love of God is steadfast.

There is an old bit of spiritual wisdom. When in desolation remember moments of consolation.

When in sadness, remember times of joy. When struggling, remember when you felt satisfaction in your work and the life you lead. When your heart grows heavy and negative thoughts prevail, send your mind to moments when the light of life filled you. Remember feeling glad to be alive as you enjoyed the grace of companionship and the beauty of sun and sky.

Remembering ... is re-membering. It puts our broken hearts back together again so that we feel whole. Sadness endures for a time, but joy will come. For the love of God is steadfast and true, ever ancient, ever new.

Wait and know. Grace comes.

Pr. David L. Miller


No comments: