Friday, August 14, 2015

Friday, August 14, 2015

Mark 5:27-30

She had heard about Jesus, and came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, for she said, ‘If I but touch his clothes, I will be made well.’ Immediately her hemorrhage stopped; and she felt in her body that she was healed of her disease. Immediately aware that power had gone forth from him, Jesus turned about in the crowd and said, ‘Who touched my clothes?’

Bridging

I don’t know what the worst feeling in the world is, but feeling separated from the great love you need and crave must be high on the list.

It also one of the easiest to remedy. All it takes is the smallest gesture, a knowing glance, a gentle word, the touch of a hand.

It’s mysterious, but it is through these that healing flows and soothes the heart that wants only to know the great love which every heart needs.

If only … I can touch him. If only … today … I can hear a word of grace. If only … I can feel great love touching, flowing into me … I will be healed. My heart will burst wide open. I will lift my hands to the sky and give thanks for life in all its beauty.

No, the woman did not say these things. But it is not hard to think thoughts like these stirred in the wounded silence of her heart. They are human … our … wants and needs. We need the word, the glance, the touch of a hand that obliterates the separateness between us, bridging the distance between us and the great love that alone fills and heals the heart.

We also need her openness and her faith on difficult days when that distance feels great and impassable.

She trusted … she knew there is great grace in Jesus that he refuses to keep to himself. It is for everyone. It is for us, and although we may feel distant from that great love … the moment of touch will come and we know what is there for us all along.

So even on difficult days, even after years of feeling separated from the great healing love God is, her heart remains open and ready for a knowing glance, a gentle word, the touch of a hand … that bridges the gap and makes the heart sing.

Touch us today, Great Love. We long to sing.

Pr. David L. Miller


No comments: