Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Colossians 3:14

Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.

Folded together

I have a favorite image of Ethan, my youngest grandson. He is seven, getting bigger. But still not too big to curl up to his mother, my daughter, and fold himself into her side. He will read there or play a game. 

Folded into each other they are like one person, an exquisite unity of love and comfort, together.

Sometimes Ethan does the same thing with his big brother Ben, and he almost always takes Ben’s hand as they walk down the street. Brothers as one.

It touches me, Jesus, not so much because it is sweet, but because I see in them the union of love that you intend for all things. They are a picture of mutual affection, joined in love, a snap shot of final fulfillment, the loving communion in you into which you draw all that is and all we are.

They show me the life I am to live, the love I am to love… starting with you. It is the only place this life can start for you are the Love that bids me to come and fold myself into your side.

“Come find yourself in the Love I Am,” you say. “Only then will you know the peace and joy I hunger to give you. Only then will you be clothed in the love that holds my people together as one; only then will you know the loving communion that will hold everything, everyone … everywhere in a great sea of grace.


“Only then will you truly know me.”

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: