Friday, January 30, 2015

Friday, January 30, 2015

John 8:12

Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, ‘I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.’

How long, O Light?

Holy One, my friend. I need you in these morning hours … and all the day long. My soul cries out for you, for you alone.

How long will I look for grace where it cannot be found? How long will I seek my food and health in the words of others … and not in the light of your face?

You light shines where it will. You shine in every grace and beauty, in every word of encouragement and act of love, in each moment of quiet understanding when eye meets eye and the heart knows what it needs to know to live, to love, to shout with joy at the sheer exultation of existence.

How I hunger for that freedom this day when arrows from unexpected hands strike and wound the heart. I hunger for what you alone can give, so here I am again, aching for your voice.

“Turn from all that is not me,” I hear you say. “I am light. Look for light where I chose to shine on your heart. People will disappoint. Their needs and desires will turn them from you and against you.

“But not me. I am light, and I shine through eyes that love and hearts that know and treasure what I have done in yours. So go there; be there. Bask in the grace that receives and enables you to be the soul you are, giving little thought to those who will not or cannot provide what your heart requires.

"They are not the food and drink you need. You will fail to find what your heart needs in the hearts of those who serve. They cannot sustain you. Heart wounds heal in the light I am. Find your place in the sun of my grace. Seek nothing else, and you will live."


Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: