Thursday, July 03, 2014

Thursday, July 3, 2014


Today’s text

Matthew 11:25-26

At that time Jesus said, ‘I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and the intelligent and have revealed them to infants; yes, Father, for such was your gracious will.

A shared joy

I feel your joy, Jesus. The grace of your smile fills my soul, and I know all I need to know to live this day.

I know what those who crowded around you knew, those who moved you to give thanks to the Loving Mystery whom you name, ‘Father, Lord of heaven and earth.’

You saw them come alive as they heard the word of God’s kingdom. They clamored to be near you, to hang on your words and see what you would do next, their hearts open, somehow sensing that what they received from you was life and would give them life.

They didn’t pretend to understand what was happening. But they felt the Life who was in you, and they knew this Life in themselves when they were near you. They came alive in your nearness.

You see the light in their eyes as they feel Love and Life stirring in their depths, and your face, shines, too. You share their joy--and the awareness that the Loving Mystery who fills you was coming to life in them, too.

You understood what they could not understand.

They were awakening to the Mystery of the Love and Life that is their deepest identity and truth. They could hardly imagine that they carried the same Loving Mystery as you.

They would never have claimed to be your true brothers and sisters, but that is exactly what they were.

That’s what we all are. And seeing you smile at the open hearts around you, I come to life and know … I am your brother, too, bearing the Love and Life that so filled you.

So, Jesus, tell me, do you look at me and smile, as you did at them?

Pr. David L. Miller


No comments: