Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Today’s text

John 21:15-18


When they had eaten, Jesus said to Simon Peter, 'Simon son of John, do you love me more than these others do?' He answered, 'Yes, Lord, you know I love you.' Jesus said to him, 'Feed my lambs.' A second time he said to him, 'Simon son of John, do you love me?' He replied, 'Yes, Lord, you know I love you.' Jesus said to him, 'Look after my sheep. Then he said to him a third time, 'Simon son of John, do you love me?' Peter was hurt that he asked him a third time, 'Do you love me?' and said, 'Lord, you know everything; you know I love you.' Jesus said to him, 'Feed my sheep. In all truth I tell you, when you were young you put on your own belt and walked where you liked; but when you grow old you will stretch out your hands, and somebody else will put a belt round you and take you where you would rather not go.’

Reflection

So it is. The things we love take us beyond ourselves, beyond our limits, beyond our will.

Do you love me? It all comes does to this. Am I playing a religious game, clever with words and ideas about ultimate concerns and unsolvable mysteries?

Or do I love you, Jesus?

Do I love the thought and sight of you? Do I love the mysterious someone who touched and healed those that society tossed to the edges of life?

Do I love the non-conformist way you fought with all who drew lines to separate people from God and each other?

Do I love the soul I meet when I turn your words over in my mind?

The fact is that I do. In you, 20 centuries later, I feel like I am meeting the only real human being who ever lived, one who knew the mystery of his connection with the Infinite Source for whom no name will do.

In you I meet a true soul who was always, unfailingly himself. In you I see a beauty I am not, but which I want to be.

So ‘yes,’ I say with some surprise. Yes, this morning I discover that I love you more than I thought I did. I have known that love in recent days, and it takes me beyond where I want to go.

Loves does that.

I am not like Peter, led away by brutal hands that inflict physical wounds and, ultimately, death. But something similar happens for all of us who love you.

For me it’s more like this: The phone rings, a shaky voice asks for conversation. It happens most often in the middle of dinner and especially when I am tired and feel that I have nothing left to give. I want my couch, a glass of wine and some gentle conversation.

I don’t want to go. I’m tired. But I go. I go beyond the limits of what I think is reasonable because the love you are requires it, Jesus, because the love you have put in me moves it.

This is no external force compelling me. But it’s something no less deniable, the presence of love for the love you are moving me beyond myself, beyond my limits, beyond my own willing.

And for that time, I am as human as you, Jesus, and as blessed. And I am happy. Funny how that is.

Pr. David L. Miller

1 comment:

Kris LK said...

Thanks for such a beautiful reflection, Pastor.