Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Today’s text

Luke 1:46-49


And Mary said: My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior; because he has looked upon the humiliation of his servant. Yes, from now onwards all generations will call me blessed, for the Almighty has done great things for me.

Reflection

Lift my lungs into praise of your wonder, O Lord. Sweep me into the chorus of rejoicing that I might be whole.

My soul languishes in regions of sadness where I know neither you nor my own self. Like Mary, like all humanity, I am whole only in the joy that comes in knowing you, in being swept up in the current of all that your love is doing.

This, I think, is the source of Mary’s praise, of her joy and the fulfillment of her soul, a completion for which my soul longs.

She sees, she knows, she feels within her own womb the goodness of what you are doing, coming in human form to each of us, to all of us. In startled joy, she knows she shares wholly in the greatness of your loving design, the work of love you make known in Jesus, our brother.

Joy is being swept up in you, my Lord. It is knowing that all we are--our soul, mind and the smallest parts of our bodies--are encompassed in your immensity. You are Love itself, Holy Mystery, so joy is being caught up in Love’s own being as it lifts the lowly and illumines the darkest paces of earth and soul.

We do not choose to praise you, my Lord. Praise comes as a precious gift when we, like Mary, are swept up in you, feeling ourselves immersed and encompassed in the liquidity of your life.

How this happens, when and where we cannot easily say, only that it does, and that it happens when we are in you. So we give ourselves to the work of praying and singing and reaching to you. We give ourselves to service, to loving, sharing and giving. For we know these are your works, your places, your haunts.

And we wait with hope for you to come and sweep us away from ourselves and the gray burdens of the day, carrying us to heights of praise where we know you as Holy Wonder and ourselves as blessed beloved.

Pr. David L. Miller

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Pastor Dave,

Thank you for your site. It is often a place where I can go for devotion, prayer and insights I would not otherwise glean from reading these texts.

I have never thought of praise to God as gift. But, indeed it does seem to be. Those times when we are caught up in great praise and thanksgiving for the wonderful and amazing things that our triune God does are as unpredictable as God's interaction with this world.

Thank you for sharing.

Peace,
C Nisonger