Sunday, October 11, 2009

October 11, 2009

Today’s text

1 Peter 1:1-2


Peter, apostle of Jesus Christ, to all those living as aliens in the Dispersion of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen, in the foresight of God the Father, to be made holy by the Spirit, obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood: Grace and peace be yours in abundance.
Reflection

I have heard the cry of refugees, living “behind the wire” of cold camps far from home. “When?” they all ask silently or aloud, fearing the answer. I never had an answer to give them, not the one I wanted to give.

I wanted to say, “Soon; the time is near,” but I could not. I didn’t know, so I shook my head and stared at the dead dust on my shoes into which their lives had descended with no end point in sight.

They yearned for what every refugee wants: home.

So do I, my Lord. I hunger for home. It’s not a new feeling, even the intensity of this distress is not unknown to me, but it has been a great while since it has been so strong.

My dispersion is not one of geography but of heart. I am what I am not; and what I am not, that is what I am.

I dwell far from home, from the heart of love where I know peace, where I rest secure in the heart of my soul … and you. When I find and enter my truest heart I discover yours also.

I am at peace, content to be who I am, neither more nor less, and the demands of others to be what they need or want me to be flies away. It does not matter.

All that matters is the dwelling, the abiding, the resting in that secret soul where I know who I am in the warm light of your smile.

My tears are not yet those of fullest joy. I stand at the portal, yearning to enter, to come home to myself and to you. But I still am an exile from the home I seek.

What keeps me out? What prevents me from entering? This is a mystery to me, for even now I see your smile, Blessed Mystery. Your hand extends to sprinkle me with the blood, the life of Jesus, who always knew his heart and yours, never knowing this distance I feel except, perhaps, in the final hours of his torture.

You want to sprinkle me with his life, his consciousness, the graced awareness of his identity as your beloved, your special servant. The heart that is his you would give to me. You have chosen me for this.

Move my soul to enter the blessedness you hungrily give. I want to come home.

Take from me every word and desire that hides and protects me from the judgments of others, for in fear I turn from being the heart that I am and become an exile from myself and the great bounty of your heart, my home.

Pr. David L. Miller

Note: I have made few posts in recent monthes as I wrote a book, Marks of the Christian Life, soon to be released by Augsburg Fortress. Please let me know if you are still receiving and find these posts useful.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Greetings David,
It's wonderful to know that you haven't left the blog, I thoroughly enjoy your insights and would love to refer members of the church I serve to your blog. I look forward to the new book.
peace,

Paul :o)

Nan Marcum said...

Welcome back as a blogger -
I've missed you. Glad to know it was a book that occupied your time - I'll have ti pick it up

Nan Marcum said...

Welcome back - You have been missed