Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Today’s text

Mark 1:91-11


It was at this time that Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized in the Jordan by John. And at once, as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit, like a dove, descending on him. And a voice came from heaven, 'You are my Son, the Beloved; my favor rests on you.'

Reflection

You carried a secret, Jesus. You saw what you saw. The encircling dish of the heavens rip open, and the light of forever appears. A dove descends as a voice speaks.

“You are my beloved, my son, on whom my favor rests.”

That’s the secret you carried with you along all the dusty roads you walked. That’s the identity of which you were certain on the days when the powerful rejected you, denounced you and plotted your destruction.

Every challenge could be met by reference and remembrance of who you are: I am the beloved. I dwell in the circle of God’s eternal favor. My identity is nothing others say about me or do to me. The opinions and deeds of human hearts do not define me.

I am beloved of the Eternal Wonder. I dwell in the secret heart of Love Eternal. I am the unique living word of the One who is life.

And you carried on, Jesus, carried by the secret you cherished at the core of your being.

Everything starts and is empowered by your identity, an identity given to you, a gift of the God whose pleasure is to give gifts. You indwelt that gift, your heart never straying from the central truth of God’s blessing which never fades or fails.

I want this, and on my very best moments I taste it. These are not moments when I am good or wise, but moments when I simply know and rest in the identity of belovedness you share with me, this truth abiding into which you constantly welcome me.

Everything depends on resting in this identity: my peace and power, my hope and patience, my courage and love, my smile and joy. All that is best in this mortal body rises like the warm morning sun when I know I am what you say, not what others think or how I see my days and deeds.

I am what you say and give: beloved, chosen, favored, sharing in the identity that is your gift to give.

So let the day begin.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: