Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Today’s text

Mark 1:14-15


After John had been arrested, Jesus went into Galilee. There he proclaimed the gospel from God saying, 'The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is close at hand. Repent, and believe the gospel.'

Reflection

The time is now. It always is, Jesus. This is the moment that I know I have. Another breath brings a new moment, until the day when the next breath doesn’t come.

I think little of leaving this earth. My body is well and my mind is still intact, more or less. But more than any time in my life I am aware that there are far fewer acts remaining than have already occurred.

And I know that I have bobbled my lines in earlier scenes. Only occasionally, have I played my part well, the part that only I can play. And I am aware that now is the time. If I am ever finally to get it right, to be the soul you (and I) have always known that I am and hunger to be, now is the time.

I can no longer look for future moments or circumstances where there are fewer obstacles to the soul’s maturity to itself.

I want to be able to say that the time is fulfilled, finally, for my heart has entered and dwells in that inner chamber where I am one with you, and my every word speaks the deep truth of who you are in me. And fear itself is gone.

Then your reign will have come not only here or there, but to and in me, and my soul is surrendered to the Source of Life and all Being.

So bring your kingdom on earth, Jesus, and to me. I want the fulfillment you alone bring.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: