Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Today’s text

Matthew 2:7-11


Then Herod summoned the wise men to see him privately. He asked them the exact date on which the star had appeared and sent them on to Bethlehem with the words, 'Go and find out all about the child, and when you have found him, let me know, so that I too may go and do him homage.' Having listened to what the king had to say, they set out. And suddenly the star they had seen rising went forward and halted over the place where the child was. The sight of the star filled them with delight, and going into the house they saw the child with his mother Mary, and falling to their knees they did him homage. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts of gold and frankincense and myrrh.

Reflection

Come, Lord Jesus. Awaken purest desire in my heart.

Desires clash, Jesus. The wise seek the place of new birth to do homage and give gifts. Herod seeks his advantage, turning what comes to protect possessions and serve self.

The wise come seeking to bless and to receive blessing. Herod seeks nothing, wanting only to protect what is his.

The wise see the world through eyes acute to the coming of the holy. The selfish see through lenses of fear. For them, the coming of God is not a time of open-armed welcome, but an occasion to close ranks to prevent the threat of change, and any change is threat.

And now a new day comes, soon a new year. And I am the same old person, more driven by fears than by anticipation of the holy and lovely, the graced and genuine, the presence of you who are ever present.

Come and convert my heart, Lord Jesus.

Take away the eyes of my anxiety that I may not fear when you come to me in ways that distress my soul or disturb the way I order my little world. It grieves me to think that I might miss you, whom I most need.

So show me the way of wisdom that I may find my way to the places where your life is birthed in and near me. Then, I will open my arms to welcome and worship you, giving such gifts as I have to share.

Come, Lord Jesus. Calm my fears and make my heart wise that I may see and welcome you in every place you come to me.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: