Friday, July 25, 2008

Friday, July 25, 2008

Today’s text

Matthew 13:47-51

'Again, the kingdom of Heaven is like a dragnet that is cast in the sea and brings in a haul of all kinds of fish. When it is full, the fishermen bring it ashore; then, sitting down, they collected the good ones in baskets and throw away those that are no use. This is how it will be at the end of time: the angels will appear and separate the wicked from the upright, to throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and grinding of teeth. 'Have you understood all these?' They said, 'Yes.'

Prayer

There is no doubt, Jesus; I am more comfortable with the net than the fire. I like your seeking but fear your judgment.

Your seeking consoles me, and it makes sense of this restless soul, ever hungry for a connection it cannot make. Yes, your seeking I know. It is a fever in my blood, a deep yearning in my bones. And it is you, your Spirit seeking and drawing me home.

You cast your net wide to capture the very soul of the universe you have made, a universe alive with your soul, your breath. As am I.

But at the fullness of time not all enter the joy of your nearness, not all enjoy the connection of their heart with your own, not all finally come home to you the source of their soul. And this is sadness.

Sometimes I think it is a sadness you will not bear, that at the end you will have all that is and all will know the joy for which you intended them. Everything will come to the fullness of your life, and you will not allow any to be lost. That’s what I want. But you seem to say I am wrong.

Still, I pray for the salvation of all that is. I pray for the total joy of your universe and every soul in it.

I pray not only for others, but for myself. For all too well, I know: parts of me are not good or upright. Wickedness remains in this soul. So I pray, have your way Jesus. Save us all and all of us.

In all things, may your mercy prevail.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: