Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Today’s text

Matthew 10:26-31

'So do not be afraid of them. Everything now covered up will be uncovered, and everything now hidden will be made clear. What I say to you in the dark, tell in the daylight; what you hear in whispers, proclaim from the housetops. 'Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; fear him rather who can destroy both body and soul in hell. Can you not buy two sparrows for a penny? And yet not one falls to the ground without your Father knowing. Why, every hair on your head has been counted. So there is no need to be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

Prayer

I think I fear me most, Jesus. I can kill my soul right here and now. And sometimes do.

I ignore your prompting. I neglect the things that I know my soul needs to live, the places and practices that dispose my heart to your nearness. I get lost in the noise of living and lose the still voice of silence in which I know you.

I fear me because I so often am confused, unsure what I need for this soul to live, to thrive, to remain supple and free. I confuse temporary moods with deep abiding truths and fail to walk in the ways that are life.

You know me. I make no attempt to hide. It would be futile anyway. I have come to believe that you do, indeed, know every hair on my graying head.

But I do not fear your knowledge of me. It’s the best news I know because what I know of you trumps everything you know of me. In your love I am of immense worth, and so I proclaim what I know: You are love, the love that holds all and will be all in all.

What more can I need?

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: