Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Today's text

Matthew 4:12-16

Hearing that John had been arrested he withdrew to Galilee, and leaving Nazareth he went and settled in Capernaum, beside the lake, on the borders of Zebulun and Naphtali. This was to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet Isaiah: Land of Zebulun! Land of Naphtali! Way of the sea beyond Jordan. Galilee of the nations! The people that lived in darkness have seen a great light; on those who lived in a country of shadow dark as death a light has dawned.

Prayer

I, too, walk in great darkness, Jesus. My heart daily reveals to me secrets of the darkness I bear. There is no need to recount them here. You know them all, and those who know me must tolerate them all too often. My failures of faith and humanity, my hunger to magnify myself, my fear of being simply me, neither more nor less: I weary of it all. It weighs heavy on the soul.

Truly, I want to be quiet, to assume mere human proportions and be that soul that I am when the light of your presence glows within this heart of mine. Then alone am I human. Then alone do I know who I am. Then alone, the darkness of my soul scatters, driven from musty corridors of mind by light and lightness of heart.

Just naming you here and recalling the light of your presence enlightens my soul and frees me from my self. And another self arises, lifted by the light of your abiding, here in me.

I have no knowledge of how this so instantly happens nor do I need it. I need only you. For the light that shines from you awakens that same illumination in me.

Lighten my darkness, O Lord, I pray. Save us from the night that we may see and be the light of your presence.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: