Thursday, January 03, 2008

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Today's text

Matthew 2:3-5,7-8

When King Herod heard this he was perturbed, and so was the whole of Jerusalem. He called together all the chief priests and the scribes of the people, and enquired of them where the Christ was to be born. They told him, “At Bethlehem in Judea, for this is what the prophet wrote ….” Then Herod summoned the wise men to see him privately. He asked them the exact date on which the star had appeared and sent them on to Bethlehem with the words, “Go and find all about the child, and when you have found him, let me know, so that I too may go and do him homage.”

Prayer

Did you believe him, wise men? Or were you truly wise, knowing that no king willingly does homage before another? Power and ego get in the way. Still. And not just for kings. Me, too.

I have no problem bowing before you, Holy Child. None. I find my place and irreplaceable blessing kneeling before the glory of your loving humility. But you ask that I become what you are and bow in service to those you give me.

Not just family, but all those others among whom I live and work and have my being. And there my knees grow stiff and my soul resistant. For there I encounter souls and attitudes and behaviors that sorely try me, exhausting both patience and respect.

And I realize something of Herod’s calcified soul resides also in me, giving rise to mistrust and defensiveness, judgmental anger and cussed stiff-neckedness.

So let me kneel again before the wonder of your divine humility, blessed Christ. The sight of you melts this stony heart, and you remake my soul in the beauty of your divine image, loving and humble, given to your purpose.

This is the homage you seek. It is also my freedom and joy. May it be mine today.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: