Monday, January 07, 2008

Monday, January 7, 2008

Today's text

Matthew 3:13-15

Then Jesus appeared: he came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. John tried to dissuade him, with the words, “It is I who need baptism from you, and yet you come to me!” But Jesus replied, “Leave it like this for the time being; it is fitting that we should in this way, do all that uprightness demands.”

Prayer

What did you see, Jesus, when you came to the river? John’s fiery voice fills the air with denunciations of the powerful and demands for changed lives. The small and great come to him. And he rails at them all, also painting you in terms that don’t seem to fit: a pitchfork in your hand and a heart eager to burn the chaff.

Then you appear, in silence and simplicity. No fanfare, no announcement, no fire. You step from the desert and from among the crowd and crawl down the bank into the water. Or had all the others left John for a while when you appeared? Did all this happen when no one was watching?

I don’t know, but my heart falls silent as I watch you wade toward this wild man. You stand in the muddy stream where all the others stood, assuming no position of privilege, giving yourself to our human messiness.

Giving yourself: that is what I see, surrender to a wild and holy cause. You give yourself not only to us but to the untamed will of the One who burns to bring a kingdom where love displaces threat and fear, and Earth shimmers with divine glory.

And standing in the stream, you extend your hand to me. “Come,” you say. “Stand by me in the messiness.” A gracious and fearful invitation into your way of being.

And I come, again today. Whatever happens, just let me be with you.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: