Monday, October 08, 2007

Monday, October 8, 2007

Today’s text

Luke 17:5-6

The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!” The Lord replied, “If you had faith the size of a mustard seed, you could say to this mulberry tree, “be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you.”

Prayer

The morning comes too early, Jesus. The restless night of tossing fogs my mind with fatigue. Each thought comes encased in cloud. It is Monday, and my body cries for sleep.

If I had faith as a grain of mustard seed, would sleep so easily evade me? Would I quietly rest when I lay my head on the pillow? Would my soul release its obsessive frets, assured that your abundance will amply supply no matter what awaits me? Would my sleep then be an act of worship, offering holy praise of your goodness?

Yet, I know, Holy One: I face nothing alone, for even such small faith as mine bears a treasure—You. What is faith but your presence, your Spirit, in the soul turning my eyes toward Home?

You, whom all the world cannot contain, dwell in this anxious soul. Even on my tired days, You grant such faith that I may hear it whisper, “I am enough for you. You have what you need to know me, to love me, to serve me, to rest in my immensity.”

So I will not pray, increase my faith, Dearest One. No, let me attend such faith as dwells in this soul that I may hear you and know that you are always sufficient to the day.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: