Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Today’s text

Luke 11:5-8

And [Jesus] said to them, ‘Suppose one of you has a friend, and you go to him at midnight and say to him, “Friend, lend me three loaves of bread; for a friend of mine has arrived, and I have nothing to set before him.” And he answers from within, “Do not bother me; the door has already been locked, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot get up and give you anything.’ I tell you, even though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, at least because of his persistence he will get up and give him whatever he needs.’

Prayer

A sly humor rises from your face when I watch you, Jesus. You smile at the absurdity of your own words, comparing the infinite generosity of the divine heart with a sleepy householder too tired to get out of bed. Your humor is born of a knowledge I cannot have, or at least only in minute part.

You know, full and well, the length and breadth of divine generosity, dear Friend. It is woven into the fabric of your being. It is your heartbeat, your truth, your identity and vocation. You are this generosity incarnate, alive and breathing, the kindest of all hospitalities, eager to open the door and welcome the likes of me into the eternal embrace of an incomparable love.

You smile, Jesus, at the incongruity of your words. You know: the heart of God is as unlike the resistant friend as day is from night, as distant as your largesse from my narrow heart. Your irony tells me what I most need to know: the Holy One is eager to share the bounty of that eternal life and love of whom you are the face.

So let me live this day in full awareness that I am the object of your unimaginable generosity. Pour your inexhaustible life into the leaky vessel of my heart that your joy and mine might be complete. Amen.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: