Friday, June 29, 2007

Friday, June 29, 2007

Today’s text

2 John 1:13

“The children of your elect sister send you their greetings.”

Prayer

Another goodbye: a farewell speaking simple words of grace from one life to the heart of others. I quickly pass over such words, Gracious One. They feel pro forma, a necessary formality with little meaning. I race by them in disregard, whether here in sacred text or in daily life. Life is busy; I must hurry to the next thing.

Greetings carry more weight in traditional cultures. The touch of a hand to the heart, a bow, hands brought together before the breast: these give honor and show respect or even affection.

I wonder: how much of your love and grace do I miss as I race through life? How much consolation and blessing do I push aside in my hurry to get on with it? I fear that I often miss your grace in the gentle hospitalities of those I meet each day.

I miss not only the goodness of human souls, but you. And of all the things I would miss in life, it grieves me most to miss you. For it is you for whom I most hunger. It is your gracious voice I most need to hear. Without it, my soul withers and dies.

Grant me grace to walk slowly, to pause amid the feverishness of life to hear and savor words of common hospitality and humanity. And give me a heart to know you in each one. Amen.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: