Thursday, March 29, 2007

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Today’s text

1 John 3:1-3

“See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and that is what we are. The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Beloved, we are God’s children now; what we will be has not been revealed. What we do know is this: when he is revealed we will be like him for we will see him as he is.”

Prayer

We will be like you, Jesus, my brother? Should this fill me with longing or move me to quake in fear? You were unknown, disbelieved, rejected and denounced. Yet, your heart relished a quiet unity with the Love that fashioned the universe, the Holy Mystery you named Father but who exceeds all naming.

I long to be like you, sharing the uninterrupted harmony with the Love that my soul knows is my only true home. But this comes at the price that I should also be like you in a world that often despises the fire of love and holy justice to which your heart belonged.

But fear is not enough to crush the craving of your Spirit within my spirit. You fan holy desire in our souls. I want you, blessed Jesus. I want to be like you, as you promise, participating in that ceaseless gracious sharing of the triune life of God; that is your joy and strength, your identity and purpose, and you would have it be mine.

You made us for this, but our sharing in your life is so partial and intermittent. We want more, more of you. Grant that we should see and taste you today that we might be like you. We need this more than we can say. Amen.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: