Monday, March 12, 2007

Monday, March 12, 2007

Today’s text

1 John 2:15-17

“Do not love the world or the things in the world. The love of the Father is not in those who love the world; for all that is in the world--the desire of the flesh, the desire of the eyes, the pride in riches--comes not from the Father but from the world. And the world and its desires are passing away, but those who do the will of God live forever” (1 John 2:15-17).

Prayer

To what shall I belong? Shall I belong to today or tomorrow, to a passing moment or eternity? The choice is ever before me, Everlasting Love, as are you.

I have known saints whose gaze is fixed on a vision I did not then see--and now only in glimpses. Not swayed by the convenience or correctness of the moment, their words and actions flowed from a depth of center untouched by popular concerns or the need to please. I sensed stability and steadiness in them. They were not blown about by ever-shifting winds of opinion.

Their words resonated not with the mood of the day but with the stillness of eternity, for they knew what is real and true and lasting: Your loving purpose, your all-enduring and ever-abiding love.

I long for a calm heart and quiet fortitude that I might live beyond my anxious and driven ways. Perhaps such quiet is not your gift to me, but stability of vision is your desire for all your children, me included.

Grant, Everlasting Love, that my heart may be fixed on your tomorrow, on the love that lasts. Turn my eyes from passing desires that distract and dissuade me from loving what you love that I may live with heart firmly fixed on your eternal purpose. By your great love, create in me a calm heart and a quiet mind that all I do may echo the holy stillness of your divine heart. Amen.

--Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: