Monday, December 18, 2006

Monday, December 18, 2006

Today’s reading

Philippians 4:8-9

“Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Keep on doing he things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you” (Phil. 4:8-9).

Prayer

Come, Lord Jesus. Ah, but you always come. And you are always near, abiding even in the unsuspecting who reveal your beauty unawares. From across a room, I watch a mother raise a tiny new born to her lips, a little girl, I suppose, for all the pink. She kisses one tender cheek then lays the little one’s head over her heart. The fragile infant rests there soothed by the first sound she ever heard, the rhythm of a human heart pumping the warm blood of life into her, a parable bearing the truth of the universe.

The mother’s gesture was a totally unconscious. It was not done for display or consumption. No one was standing with them. No one was watching but me, anonymously, from far off. But I was close enough to witness the purity of a love given in joy. The pair shimmered with gentleness and peace, a holy family alive with the life of you whom I can only name Love Abiding.

I savored what I saw, Dearest Friend. For there you were again, in human flesh, revealing the heart not only of one woman but of Eternity. I savored the scene for it made me more alive than I had been but moment before, more aware, more peaceful, more gentle, and utterly certain that the world is shot through with your holy presence, convinced that the love you are is everywhere.

Wherever there is beauty and purity, justice and peace, gentleness and mercy, truth and honorable life, you are there. And there we rest our heads on the heart of the cosmos to hear the rhythm of Eternity, pumping the warm blood of life into our souls. Thanks be to God. So come, Lord Jesus. We want to live. Amen.

No comments: