Monday, October 03, 2022

Disarmed

 Unless you ... become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:3)

Sonia caught my eye as I turned to share the peace during worship. Seven, I suppose, she stood close to her mother, shy eyes peering through a thick cascade of dark hair. I bent low and extended my right hand to share what the words say, “Peace.”

She smiled and took my hand, before holding a small stuffed animal out to me. “What’s her name?” I asked. “Tara,” she whispered, clutching it again to her chest.

With this, I was undone, my heart totally disarmed. Love surged through me for the preciousness of her heart, so totally open to receive and share a simple moment of grace and care.

I wanted to extend the gift of God’s peace to her, but she became a sacrament, awakening the great love God is flowing within and between us. My heart became as unguarded as hers, ready to receive and share the holy kindness of God. 

It was only a moment, soon past. But I will be looking for her again next Sunday. She helped me enter heaven’s kingdom.

David L. Miller

No comments: