Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Love’s song

Consider the ravens, for they neither sow nor reap, which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds? (Luke 12:240


It is easy enough to imagine Jesus saying these words. There are any number of meadows among the rolling hills of Galilee where he might have pointed to the birds, hoping his companions might hear the Incomprehensible Giver singing a love song.

But today I need not imagine faraway lands to enjoy the music. A red-breasted house finch perches at the extreme end of a branch nearest the window where I sit in my favorite chair.

Chattering on, he (she?) announces the morning as the sun works its way through a bank of clouds, suddenly filling the room with light, to say nothing of my heart.

He seems in no hurry, although I’m sure there’s a mate and nest nearby who require his care. For a few crystal moments my morning friend is content to sit there and call to me.

Watching him, I’m not so sure I am of greater worth than the birds, at least not this one, who awakens unexpected gratitude that I should be here, savoring the moment, a gift from the One who, through eons of time, fashions red-breasted finches, morning sun and this heart of mine, which may yet learn to rest in the grace of given moments.

Seek God’s kingdom, Jesus says, just after he directed his followers’ attention to the flowers and birds, hoping they would learn of God and life and themselves.

Perhaps this starts by simply paying attention, listening for Love’s song that it may awaken gratitude for life and light, for finch calls and the color red, and for the Love who sings outside my window.

David L. Miller

 

 

No comments: