Monday, September 06, 2021

The final freedom

 

September 6, 2021

On another sabbath  [Jesus]entered the synagogue and taught, and there was a man there whose right hand was withered. The scribes and the Pharisees watched him to see whether he would cure on the sabbath, so that they might find an accusation against him. (Luke 6:6-7)

It is Jesus’ freedom that most impresses me and which I most want. Opponents watch his every move, seeking opportunities to pounce, but Jesus is marvelously free from all this.

Neither the judgments of opponents nor the approval of friends define or determine his actions. He acts according to inner impulse, living out the identity he is within, undeterred by those who denounce him.

What defines him, of course, is the oneness he shares with the Loving Mystery with whom his heart communes. He is like all the rest of us in this regard. Only in communion with a great love do we know and find freedom to be the soul we are.

I find myself in a unique position, different from any I have known in my 69 years. Many things that defined me are gone ... and gone for good—professional standing, role, place and position, along with whatever privileges and respect they afforded.

What is left, however, is greater than what was before, an opportunity to enter the final freedom found only as one releases the external supports the insecure heart uses to give itself significance, an opportunity to allow my heart to rest in God alone.

David L. Miller

 

 

 

 


 [D1]

No comments: