Monday, July 22, 2019

Just one


 Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, ‘Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me.’ But the Lord answered her, ‘Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. (Luke 10:40-42a)

Just one

I need just one thing today, you, Beloved One.

Morning dawns, and the world impinges on consciousness with no concern for my inability to sort and single out the tasks of the day. Each cries for attention at once, reducing me to immobility and a nagging sense of inadequacy.

The mind flails in one direction and then another trying to get a handle on the day to make it all feel controllable.

This is nonsense, of course. Life rushes ahead at its pace, not ours. We control very little, and the needs of the day quickly bury awareness of the one thing our monkey minds need that will allow us to breathe … and enter a place of peace.

So breathe … and know; there is One who looks at you and smiles. That smile is your peace. It gives you everything you need to take life one step, one moment, one task, one challenge, one conversation at a time.

The Love that shines in the holy smile of Christ speaks your name, not “Martha, Martha,” but my name, your name. “David, David, take a breath … and listen to the Love that whispers the truth.

“Do what I have placed on your heart. Just one thing. Then move on to the next, knowing everything that gets done … and what cannot be done … rests in the warm light of my smile, as do you. Always.

Pr. David L. Miller 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Words I need to hear (read) often, as I tend to be a 'Martha'. He speaks to each one of us, just when we need it if we just listen and recognize that the words of a friend, the words in a book, or the thoughts that come at random times are often from Him. I pray that He uses my tongue for His purposes too! But, sadly, I know that many times they are my human failings talking! Thank God for His mercy and grace.