Monday, April 28, 2014

April 28, 2014


Today's text

Ephesians 1:17-19

I pray that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and revelation as you come to know him, so that, with the eyes of your heart enlightened, you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance among the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power for us who believe, according to the working of his great power.

Revelation among the potholes

There are moments you just know. Driving from Chicago’s loop, the ramp bends right then a broad sweep left, descending into a merge lane on the southbound Dan Ryan expressway.

The city’s jagged northern skyline, alight in late afternoon sun, arrests my plunge into the rush hour grind. Lifting my foot from the accelerator, my eyes caress the city’s peaks, its streets and all who make this crazy place work. And I realize how much I love it all.

This love wasn’t there a moment ago. But a sudden flash of illumination fills me, and I know: I know the Love who fills me and cherishes all that I see, the Love who is drawing the whole mess home into the love Christ is.

In an instant, inner light illumined my mind and heart, revealing the hope to which God’s calls us. It is strange knowledge, not of the mind but of heart and intuition, awareness of an unnameable Love filling one’s being and embracing all that is.

It is knowledge of the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, love’s knowledge of the One who is Love, who made us from love and destined to be united in love with all that is.

Revelation among the potholes … who knew?


Surprise us with the light of your love that we may walk with hope.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: