Monday, November 11, 2013

Monday, November 11, 2013



Today’s text

Luke 21:5-8

When some were talking about the Temple, remarking how it was adorned with fine stonework and votive offerings, he said, 'All these things you are staring at now -- the time will come when not a single stone will be left on another; everything will be destroyed.' And they put to him this question, 'Master,' they said, 'when will this happen, then, and what sign will there be that it is about to take place?' But he said, 'Take care not to be deceived, because many will come using my name and saying, "I am the one" and "The time is near at hand." Refuse to join them.

Reflection

We need to learn to refuse anxiety, to live beyond it. We need to know “the one.”

The life to which you call me, Jesus, has nothing to do with knowing the times climactic events will occur and shake the foundations of normal life.

You do not invite me to know and understand the future. You do not call us to study the signs of the times or even the scriptures so that we know what will soon come and warn others.

We cannot predict the times and great changes that occur in every age, every nation, every society and every life. The future remains a mystery to mortals despite our arduous attempts to control it and turn it to our advantage.

Everyday, you turn my mind from speculation and fear of what might come and say, “Look at me. I am the one.”

Seeing you I know, not with mind but heart: You are the door to a life of joy beyond the dread of threat and uncertainty that sometimes grips the soul.

While some of your misguided disciples, then and now, clamor to predict the times and seasons, offering harebrained speculation about what is coming and when, I will take your advice: Ignore them all.

I will look at you. You are the one.

Every suffering you endured was born out of love, and every pain you born, even the death you died, was the doorway to new life, resurrection.

The mystery I need to understand is not about the signs of the times but the sign of your cross. It tells me that the foundations of life will shake. We will know fear. We will feel pain and endure changes we do not want.

Even then, especially then ...  lift your eyes and see the one who raises us anew, giving new life from every ending.

Pr. David L. Miller


No comments: