Thursday, February 05, 2009

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Today’s text

Mark 1:32-37

That evening, after sunset, they brought to [Jesus] all who were sick and those who were possessed by devils. The whole town came crowding round the door, and he cured many who were sick with diseases of one kind or another; he also drove out many devils, but he would not allow them to speak, because they knew who he was. In the morning, long before dawn, he got up and left the house and went off to a lonely place and prayed there. Simon and his companions set out in search of him, and when they found him they said, 'Everybody is looking for you.'

Reflection

You knew how to attract a crowd, Jesus. A healing or two, driving demons from the souls of the tormented: such behavior does not go unnoticed.

And when it was, you sought quiet respite for your soul. I understand that. I could use some quiet respite.

But soon enough those who need and want you come looking. Anxiety drips from their words, ‘Everybody is looking for you. Where have you been? We searched everywhere.’

They didn’t want you to escape them. But what did they want? The spectacle, to know the thrill of seeing your acts of power? To listen to your words? To enjoy your nearness and the souls they became when they were with you?

Maybe they wanted to use your power for their own purposes. It is a normal human impulse, however selfish.

All of this is true, I suppose, and more.

All we are told is that they came looking. And so do I. That’s why I am here, fingers on the keys, listening again to stories from an ancient book which have long held the power to move me into awareness of what I need to know: You.

Mysterious you, who seem close as my breath one moment and far off the next, yet who abides.

I come looking, wanting you for more reasons than I know how to say, some of them selfish, others born of a spirit beyond me. The reason doesn’t matter. What matters is that I come looking, and you receive me no matter my reason.

Today, I just want to sit with you in the dark silence and know your soul. I want to know the silence from which your words and power spring that I may be this other soul that I am when I am with you.

And nothing else matters.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: