Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Today’s text

Mark 1:14-15


After John had been arrested, Jesus went into Galilee. There he proclaimed the gospel from God saying, 'The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is close at hand. Repent, and believe the gospel.'

Reflection

Repent and believe. It sounds like our basic problem is believing, Jesus. Our most fundamental repenting is about who or what we believe.

And believing is no mere mental act. It is not working up the power to think something is true even if you are not sure.

Believing is an investment of self, a believing into. It is giving yourself to a truth, a reality, a claim beyond oneself.

We are all believers, all are given, all are surrendered to truth that may or not be so. But to be human is to give yourself to truth in the hope that truth is real, leading to a life that fulfills the gift of our humanity, heart, hand and mind.

Repent, you say. The kingdom, the rule of the Almighty One, the Living Source, the Fountain of Creation has come. God comes to rule. Believe it. Give yourself to this rule. Surrender to its claims. Put your hand to its purposes.

But all this avoids the personal. For I know there are too many moments that reveal to me that I believe in what is not gospel. I believe that I must earn my keep, prove my worth. And in fatigue I come to the end of the day wondering if I am of any value at all. My soul feels its defeat.

Perhaps it’s only the fatigue talking. But at the root of the weariness is a truth that some part of me believes and to which that part is given. It believes--I believe--that I am my last performance. I am of value as my work has quality, and establishing my value must be done again and again.

It’s not an unusual belief. It is so common and average I am almost embarrassed. I expect more of myself. I should think I could be more unique. But I am not.

I am just one more soul in need of repentance, of turning from false truth that kills the soul to the gospel of your nearness, Holy One. For you are near, your kingdom comes. I believe that, and I would extend to myself the grace of it that I so eagerly claim and give to others.

Repent, my soul, and believe the gospel. God comes to rule you complete. My soul, you are measured by an infinite grace. Enter the circle of blessed rest. The Love who holds you longs to fill every dusty, unbelieving corner of your being.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: