Monday, January 05, 2009

Monday, January 5, 2009

Today’s text

Mark 1:4-11


John the Baptist was in the desert, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. All Judaea and all the people of Jerusalem made their way to him, and as they were baptized by him in the river Jordan they confessed their sins. John wore a garment of camel-skin, and he lived on locusts and wild honey. In the course of his preaching he said, 'After me is coming someone who is more powerful than me, and I am not fit to kneel down and undo the strap of his sandals. I have baptized you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.' It was at this time that Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized in the Jordan by John. And at once, as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit, like a dove, descending on him. And a voice came from heaven, 'You are my Son, the Beloved; my favor rests on you.'

Reflection

Someone is coming.

And John is waiting, waiting for his heart’s desire, waiting for the fulfillment of his joy, waiting for completion of a promise that he may have begun to wonder about. Will it happen?

I would have wondered. Doubts on days when nothing much was happening weigh my soul with the gravity of grayness. Life goes on but without the splendor of hope or the electricity of expectation.

But not today … or yesterday. Today, my body bears a fire. Burning steadily at my core, it sparks to flame at the words, ‘after me is coming someone who is more powerful,’ someone who baptizes with fire.

Is this the fire I feel, Jesus, your holy flame, the breath of your life?

I have done nothing to fan its burning beyond reading these words, suddenly to find this joy and knowledge, yes knowledge, that you come and will again to me.

This fire is beyond faith, for it gives already the experience of your presence. It fulfills in some fashion your promise to come--and to come to me. Promise has become presence, expectation has become possession, and hope has become reality.

Yes, there is more of you of you to know and receive. But the fire of your life burns with warm assurance and natural joy. For you come and always will.

So come Lord Jesus. Light each day the fire of expectation in my heart. Satisfy the soul's fondest desire.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: