Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Tuesday, August 6, 2008

Today’s text

Matthew 14:22-27

And at once he made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side while he sent the crowds away. After sending the crowds away he went up into the hills by himself to pray. When evening came, he was there alone, while the boat, by now some furlongs from land, was hard pressed by rough waves, for there was a head-wind. In the fourth watch of the night he came towards them, walking on the sea, and when the disciples saw him walking on the sea they were terrified. 'It is a ghost,' they said, and cried out in fear. But at once Jesus called out to them, saying, 'Courage! It's me! Don't be afraid.'

Prayer

You must have said it, Jesus. The words are so real, immediate and convincing, “It’s me! Don’t be afraid.”

I hear the echo of other voices, familiar and near. “Don’t be afraid, Benjamin. It’s Grandma. Nothing is going to hurt you. I’ve got you now.”

Simple words these, the kind one speaks to a frightened child who wakes to find himself in an unfamiliar bed. We speak them quickly but softly to dissipate fear. Distress must not endure for more than a moment, not for our beloved.

And these are words spoken to a beloved whose safety and joy are the delight of our heart.

So tell me, Jesus, is becoming a grandfather merely a giant ruse you use to teach me love--and to show me how you love me?

If so, it works pretty well. Thank you.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: