Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday, May 30, 2008

Today’s text

Psalm 131

Yahweh, my heart is not haughty,
I do not set my sights too high.
I have taken no part in great affairs,
in wonders beyond my scope.

No, I hold myself in quiet and silence,
like a little child in its mother’s arms,
like a little child, so I keep myself.

Let Israel hope in Yahweh
henceforth and for ever.

Prayer

For you my heart longs
in the morning. Calm
I seek, to stable restless
mind, its anxious
doubts caressing,
uncertain that the day--
and I--are sufficient
to the day’s demands.

Be certain, my soul;
insufficient you are,
certainly so, hold no
doubt, but know:
it matters not;
go quiet, undaunted
lay hand to task; hope
attends, love abides;
joy is not absence
of challenge, not
abolition of tension
but holy knowing: Yahweh
keeps you, holds your
life, your moments.
In Yahweh rests all
calm, comes your strength.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: