Thursday, February 21, 2008

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Today's text

John 4:21-24

Jesus said: Believe me, … the hour is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know; for salvation comes from the Jews. But the hour is coming-indeed is already here-when true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth: that is the kind of worshipper the Father seeks. God is spirit, and those who worship must worship in spirit and truth.

Prayer


I cannot give you proper worship, Holy One, except that you will it and fill me with the Spirit you are. And you do so will. And you do so fill.

It is not my spirit that calls to you each morning. Even my fevered cries for help are not the longing of a human soul: no, they are the Soul of Eternity within, stirring and calling from my depths to the depths of your immensity.

A circle is formed: your Spirit within calls to you who are ever beyond me. And you who are beyond respond in love to you who abide within.

A circle: you within and you beyond. Your voice within me calling with my voice to you who seek my life, my worship, my gratitude that I may live, abundantly.

Your indwelling Spirit speaks from my depths, to cry to you, give you praise and seek your intimacy that you and I may be caught up in a circle of loving nearness.

Such is worship in spirit, and it is truest worship. And my fondest thanks is to wake each day to discover again your Spirit within calling, seeking, longing for you who are that Spirit beyond.

This day, let my enduring gratitude give you proper praise.

Pr. David L. Miller

No comments: