Thursday, October 12, 2006

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Today’s reading

Philippians 2:5-11

“And being found in human form, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death--even death on a cross. Therefore God highly exalted him and gave him the name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of the Father” (Phil. 2:9-11).

Prayer

I put my hand to the door, and your praise wells in me, joining the chorus of the universe, blessing the glorious beauty you are, O Christ. Praise was not in me a moment ago, though it is constant in every place and time. For you have made a praising universe. All things are created to bless you. Each created thing magnifies you by being what it is, and doing so it dwells in its own true identity.

The golden tree stands in the yard, limbs lifted, shouting ‘glory’ to an infinite blue sky on a cold October morning. It speaks out its brilliance, soon to fade in winter’s grayness, yet for this time gives ecstatic praise to the Eternal Splendor of which it is but a shadow. Pleased, it is, to share in the glory of you, who are Unfading Beauty. Yet, its voice is almost unheard for the riot of ‘alleluias’ rising from billions of voices, each praising you and the deathless love in which you work shalom for all you have made.

And I? I put my hand to the door. A moment ago my heart was silent, my soul fatigued, my thoughts far from you. But the Spirit of you, who are the ever-living one, awakens in me, too, the song of the universe, as every blessed thing speaks out the life you have given to each. And my silent soul joins the chorus, praising you, the source of all life and beauty. I do not know how or why my soul should suddenly awaken to eternity’s song, only that you have done this. And that I am grateful for it.

But such is your way. Having humbly given yourself, you restore and renew your splendor in us, pouring resurrected life into our mortal flesh and into finite reality that we each might find truest joy in one chorus: “Glory to you, O crucified and risen One. Glory.”

Today, may I be as wise as the golden trees, giving praise to you by being beauty you have given. Amen.

No comments: